Property /water tax

Most buyers give attention to only getting the registered sale deed as a proof of rightful ownership of the property and updating the name in the official records like property tax documents is often overlooked by many new property buyers. But every property buyer should be aware of the fact that updating the official municipal corporation record is equally important and must never be overlooked. This is equally important for both the seller and buyer of any existing property.

Unless the new buyer of the property initiates a change in name in the official property tax records, all old receipts would be generated in the name of the old buyer. Legally the old buyer would be liable to pay such dues since they did not notify the corporation for the sale transaction. The buyer also needs to make sure all receipts including electricity bills, water bills and property tax bills are initiated in his or her name rather than any old owner.


Process to initiate Name Change in Property Tax Records

Fear of a lengthy and cumbersome process and multiple visits keep a large number of people away from the name changing process in the official records of the municipal corporation. The process of getting a name changed in official property tax is actually a simple one, provided the applicant has all the necessary documentation in place.

Before requesting any change in name records for property tax of any property, make sure you have the complete documentation including copy of the following documents:

  • Receipt of tax last paid,
  • Attested copy of the sale transaction deed (sale deed in your name)
  • No Objection Certificate from the associated housing society.
  • Duly filled application for form with signature

The documents along with an application form requesting change in official records for ownership of the property must be submitted with the Commissioner of the Revenue. The application once submitted is verified and the change in a name records approved usually in 15 to 30 day period.


Mutation of property

Mutation of property helps the property owner to change the title ownership after purchase of the property or inherited property. No Outstanding Certificate for the premises may be required before you apply for the mutation of property. In case of inherited property, affidavit and the original Death Certificate (in case of death of property owner) will be required. You can submit the duly filled Mutation form with required document for the change of the title ownership. Mutation of property of enables the municipal authority to update their property tax record with right property owner and issue proper tax documents.